Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

From Chaos to Iris



I was asked to make up another cuff bracelet as a 'display' piece for a bead embroidery class. I hunted through my stash of cabachons and came across a gray one with just a fleck or two of royal blue. Back on the hunt, I gathered up way too many possibilities of blues and grays, which is pretty typical of how I bead. I guess I like to keep my options open as I work through a piece.


Anyway, here's the final result. Not real crazy about the colors, but I think it would look really cute with jeans and a white shirt. I kept the two sides somewhat symmetrical, which is something I don't usually do.







And now for something completely unrelated to beading: My ORCHIDS ARE FINALLY BLOOMING!!

Two years ago my mom and I went on a bus trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY and stopped at a yarn and iris farm. I was really along for the yarn and knew nothing about iris. It was $5 for a clump of iris, so I plunked down $20 and walked away with a plastic bag full of plants.



I put them in the sunniest spot I could find in my yard, which is not really all that sunny thanks to the 100+ year old trees in my yard and hoped for the best. Last year, nothing. But I was happy the stalks were still alive and let them be. A week or so ago, I was heading back to the shed and barely even looked at the iris on my way until something caught my eye. Wait! Could it be? A --- BUD????


Are you kidding me? I was thrilled! Patiently I waited day after day; checking morning, noon, and night for the first sign of color. My gosh, iris take a long time to burst open. And then -- viola -




a little bloom. So sweet. Just one of about a dozen that are now in full bloom. I couldn't be happier!



And then another stalk started to bud. This one really tall and larger than the first. Amazing!




The blossom is huge - and there are at least 6 ready to open.



And now I see yet another clump is getting ready to show me what she's got. Its so much fun to see what colors they are and the blooms smell fantastic. I which I could bottle their scent. I love the way each variety is opening at a different time. The yellow ones are just about done, and now these periwinkle ones are all showy and who knows what's going to be next. Oh! That reminds me--I made a purse with a beaded iris on it. Hmm, I'll have to get some pics of that piece ....

4 comments:

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

hi lynn
that cuff is just lovely!
and your iris are to die for the yellow and periwinkle is stunning my neighbor has them in her garden also
makes me want to go and pick one LOL
isn't it great not knowing what color they are going to unfurl?
thanks for sharing
enjoy your day
tabby

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your cuff is perfection. I ove Iris also. I have several colors, but the deep purple are my favs.

dochoamom said...

Hi Lynn, Love the cuff. I recently found a cab that has nice blues and white and was thinking along those lines too.. jeans and a white button down mens shirt over a blue strappy tank... Maybe before next summer huh...LOL

My grandfather grew orchids for my grandmother and my mom has them now. But when I was in HS my grandfather gave some of the cuttings to my friend Barb that now lives way up north. She sent me a few pics on Mother's Day of those same plants loving the weather up there where she recently moved to. I think I posted them on the blog.. go see... Yours are beautiful Iris was my grandmother's favorite flower... Thanks for sharing..

Love, Deb

GraceBeading said...

Great cuff Lynn! I really like the colors. It sounds like we have very similar beading habits (which makes me think I must be doing something right :-)

The flowers are spectacular, the colors amazing. Really nice shots, thanks for sharing.