Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Homework Done - time to play

Wow.  Working with clear beads could make a girl cross-eyed!   But I have to say - so worth it.  I really like the effect.  Of course, getting a decent picture not so easy, so you will have to take my word for it. 
I found the cat's eye (hmm, would that be a cross-eyed cat's eye??!) cabachon in my stash and after obsessing over what I was going to put across the top (my instructor wrote the word "Love" on the class piece),  I wimped out and but the stone on.  I didn't trust my bead-lettering skills and didn't want the word (or words) to take away from the motifs.  The cab matches the cylinder beads quite well, so I'm happy with it.
The way the beads reflect the light is nothing short of amazing.  I wouldn't say it 'sparkles' but it almost appears that it is lit up.  I just love looking at it. 

Once we assemble the pillow and stuff it firm, oh shoot, I'm not done with my homework!  (I just remembered I have to cut up the filling.  I'm not even sure what the fiber is.  Sort of looks like what one would use to line a quilt. Very soft and cuddly.  I'll ask on Tuesday what it is exactly. Anyhow I have to cut it into long 1/2" strips, which is yet another technique I've never used to fill a pillow.) 

So as I was saying, once the pillow is assembled, the beading should really pop.  Can't wait for that, but I dread the next class - sewing it together with that little bias tape edging.  Ugh.  Not my favorite part of the project.

Since I was done (well, since I thought I was done with my class homework), I pulled out my new Beadwork magazine (June/July issue) and drooled over all the projects in it.  Oh my, seed bead heaven!  This is my first issue that I've ever seen, and I love it.  I want to make everything in it.  I don't know if all the issues will focus on beadweaving, but this one does.  For years I only ever read Bead & Button, and I do love that magazine, but I have to say Beadwork is great too.

The first thing I tackled was "Sparkly Wheels"  which I turned into earrings for my sister Laurel to wear at her daughter's wedding.  
  Ok, so it's only one earring- I didn't have enough bicone crystals to finish the second one, but I'll be zipping over to Artbeads to replenish my stash and get other colors - these little wheels are a blast to make!

Then I tried this tiny little triangle from a bracelet project called "Aqua Allure" - I used the same colors from the beaded beads I made a bit ago, thinking I could use them together, but I'm still not sure where I'm going with these.....
This was definitely more difficult than the wheel, but the directions were clear and as long as I could talk out loud through it, I was able to do it.  I do enjoy peyote stitch and I need to push myself to understand it better.  The triangle is really cute.  It's actually double sided and it was fascinating to see it develop as I worked through the steps.  My God!  How do people come up with these patterns!!??!!  Amazing indeed.

Bead Happy and Often!


7 comments:

Betty Ann said...

Great article thanks. I really enjoy your blog. Amazing beading photos

I just found a new online bead store today so I posted the link.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your pillow is stunning! It looks like it is quite heavy in weight, too!

Robbie said...

Your project turned out great and it doesn't look like Christmas anymore!!! It's beautiful, just beautiful!!!! You are so lucky to have taken this class..

Tracey Leeder said...

The pillow looks amazing so far! Then again, I wouldnt expect anything short of amazing from you! I cant believe you have never picked up a Beadwork magazine! You have no idea what you have missed. That magazine is my favorite, and yes, it does focus on beadweaving each month. I loved this months patterns too. I cant wait to see this beauty complete! Hugs to you and your family and furbabies!

SharDon Exclusives said...

Your pillow is absolutely gorgeous! What a large job but it turned out so lovely. I know you will cherish it always. How lovely!
Sharon

Karyn said...

I have loved watching this pillow come to life... well done... it is gorgeous.

Karyn

Regina said...

Awesome work. I'm a new "friend" for sure.

Hugs,
Regi