Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Making some progress

On my 'to do' list is a piece for Good Quill Hunting's Haute Couture contest. Pretty simple idea - just choose a fashion as inspiration and make a piece of jewelry from it.

Here's my inspiration:

My idea is to make a collar of sorts using random netting, which was inspired by the model's lacy hose and then attach beaded circles cascading down the collar and maybe add fringe to mimic the netting that drapes off the dress.

Well, after spending way too many hours on the netting - look at this lopsided collar that emerged! What a joke. There is no way I'm re-doing it. Not gonna happen. It was so tedious and boring.......
So I will hope that I can place my little disks in such a way as to hide the underlying fiasco.

I had never done this type of circular brick stitch before, and it was a lot of fun. I was surprised at how easy they worked up. Of course, the colors are just plain strange, but who am I to question high fashion??!!
Then I jumped ahead of myself and started on the clasp. Not really sure how it's all going to come together - maybe it won't! But I'll keep playing with it and see what happens. If nothing else, it will be worth a few laughs, right?
Bead Happy and Often!

7 comments:

Jewelry By Jessica said...

It looks really neat so far! I'm sure when it's done you won't be able to tell it's lopsided. I actually really like the colors lol. Can't wait to see the finished peice ^_^

Robbie said...

Can wait to see how you put this together! I can just see it's going to be amazing!! Love your 'inspiration dress'!

Crazy Mama said...

no no no, lynn! it's not lopsided! it's asymmetrical and is supposed to be that way. it's all about wording. lol. i'm positive that once you get more done on it, it will turn out just the way you want it to. even if it's not perfect in your eyes, i'll bet most of us will think it's fantastic. love those little roundy things btw. the colors go just perfect with the dress.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I think it looks great so far! I'm sure the bright colors of the disks will "hide" the uneven netting part.

I so wanted to do this, too, but I don't really think I have time this year...maybe next time.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Lynn
I am SURE you will make a splash at Christina's party!!

You are doing a perfect job of improvising when plans don't do what plans are supposed to ~lol~. Still, you are off to a wonderful start.

Susan Elliott said...

Lynn I think it's BRILLIANT!!!!! You're doing SUCH a great job!

I still have this on my list of things to do too...you're just way ahead of me....

Unknown said...

That was the dress I chose too- I love what you have done so far. the only difference between us is this- you wanna recreate the inspiration with beads- I on the other hand want to do that with the textiles. What an achievement that would be. You are rockin that brick stitch and the lace collar may just be the thing you needed to stretch yourself! Go with it and as Tim Gun says "Make it work"