Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bead it Forward

Jeanette Shanigan is once again putting her efforts and heart and soul into a breast cancer fundraising project. She is collecting beaded squares with a turtle theme which she will assemble into quilts and auction them off at the Bead & Button show. She has been quite successful in the past and I am happy I found out about this so I could contribute a few squares this year.




A small pebble is this turtle's shell.



I was thinking of how cancer patients have their good days and not so good days. This square represents the two sides of treatment. The sunny days and the gloomy days.



Here's a side view to show the turtle's shell is actually raised up.



I had some old shell beads that I found at an estate sale. They make perfect turtle shells. Her head is a vintage jet bead from an old estate sale necklace.


I surrounded the turtle in 3-cut beads in pearly white. It almost seems like she is resting on a comfy pillow. God knows cancer patients deserve to be pampered.


If you can, please consider making up a square or two. All the details can be found here. And if you are lucky enough to be attending the Bead & Button show, I hope you have the opportunity to get in on the bidding!

4 comments:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Those are gorgeous squares for a great cause.I'm going to check out the site even though I'm not an expert beader like you!

Tracey Leeder said...

I am seeing a lot of turtles on you blog lately! I love every one of them too. I really like how you have raised the shells for dimension. Great job Lynn.

Tracey Leeder said...

Jeez, wish I would learn to proof read before I post my comments! Of course I meant "your blog" not you blog....lol

SharDon Exclusives said...

What a lovely idea! I think the sweet pink turtle has my vote. Alllll of the squares are lovely but that precious pink one made my heart skip a beat. Great job, great work, great idea...
Have a wonderful week,
Sharon