After admiring the work from the Beading for a Cure auctions, I was lucky enough (thanks Grace) to get in on the 2010 fundraiser.
Here are the beads we were all given to work with. The only rule is that you have to use at least one of every kind of bead. Considering how beautiful each of them are, that's not a problem
I settled on making a "desk set" of sorts, which will consist of a post-it-note pad holder, paperclip holder and a picture frame.
I decided to start with the post-it-note holder which is like a little book. I used heavy peltex covered with black velvet. I placed an outline on both the back and front, which are similar to each other, but not exactly the same. Here's the beginning of the outline (I just hate the way the lint looks in the pics!)
After putting down a paper template, I worked up the center of the flower, using the chase me around stitch with each row's bead count increasing, making the center rise up, topping it off with a crystal. Then I outlined the center to keep everything nice and snug together, so it looks really compacted.
I mounted the cover onto very heavy board - two panels for the cover and one for the spine. I folded the velvet under and added a fabric liner with a pocket to hold the post-it-note pad in place.
Then I edged the entire book with a 2-bead edging.
Next up - the paperclip box!